This is our most significant release yet. Here are some highlights:
- The PharoVM is now based on Spur, the new memory management, and it brings with it a 35% speedup!
- A new unified foreign function interface (UFFI) replaced NativeBoost to provide a strong Spur-compatible framework for interfacing with the outside world.
- The Glamorous Toolkit now includes the GTDebugger to offer a moldable infrastructure that allows the developer to customise the debugger deeply.
- The underlying Reflectivity mechanism has reached maturity with multiple pieces coming together to empower developers to instrument their own systems. For example, we now have breakpoints implemented as just a simple extension of this mechanism.
- QualityAssistant is now part of the image to provide live feedback during development.
These are just the more prominent highlights, but the details are just as important. We have closed 2446 issues in Pharo 5.0. Take a moment to go through a more detailed recount of the progress.